Our Client is looking for nurse has GP Nursing experience in Harold Wood RM3
The GP will work as part of the primary healthcare team providing Personal Medical Services to the patients of the Practice.
To assist medical personnel in the care of practice patients to include treatment, preventative care, screening and patient education.
General Nursing Duties
- To provide nursing services to patients, including treatment, screening, advice and minor therapeutic procedures.
- To run special clinics for patients including family planning, child health surveillance, cryotherapy, vaccinations, cervical cytology, warfarin monitoring and chronic disease management.
- To undertake diagnostic tests including blood glucose monitoring, PEFR and urine analysis.
- To advise on and supervise patients’ use of devices including MDIs, PEFR meters, urinary diagnostic stix, blood glucose monitoring and nebulisers.
- To take and despatch safely laboratory specimens including blood, urine, swabs and smears.
- To provide ear syringing, treatment for cuts and bruises, dressings of wounds and leg ulcers and removal of sutures.
- To provide immunisations for all ages and diseases and to know the contra-indications and side effects of vaccinations.
- To provide immunisations and health advice to patients travelling abroad.
- To provide telephone advice to patients and occasional home visits where appropriate and within levels of competence.
- To keep up to date with resuscitation techniques.
- To ensure emergency drugs are kept up to date and to operate a system for checking expiry dates of drugs and vaccines.
- To maintain the nursing and treatment rooms in good order.
- To give lifestyle advice to patients including advice on smoking, alcohol consumption, diet and exercise.
- To provide new registration health checks for all new patients registering with the practice.
- To provide “well-person” advice such as breast and cervical screening and HRT.
- To provide health advice to patients concerning risks of heart disease and cancer, including those with a personal and/or family history.
- To provide other general and specific advice in line with national and local health priorities.
Management of Chronic Disease (this includes Diabetes, Asthma, Hypertension, COPD, CVA/TIA, CHD, and CHD risk assessment and management).
- Identifying significant abnormalities and monitoring and development of individual management plans; agreeing these as appropriate with the patient and other health professionals.
- Participation in annual influenza campaign (which may include paid overtime at evenings / mornings / weekends).
- Recognising issues and gathering sufficient information to refer (e.g. drugs; domestic violence; child protection; vulnerable adults; senior patients; social problems).
Supplies and equipment – Treatment room and other areas
- In participation with the nurse manager and nurse team, ensure the maintenance of equipment and stock levels relating to patient care.
Pathological specimens and investigatory procedures
- Following appropriate training, undertake the collection, storage and despatch of pathological specimens including intravenous blood samples, swabs, smears etc. and ensure the cleanliness of any equipment so used. Perform any investigatory procedures requested by the GP’s.
Administrative and professional responsibilities
- Ensure accurate notes of all consultations and treatments are recorded in the patients’ notes on the clinical computer system as appropriate.
- Ensure accurate completion of all necessary documentation associated with patient health care and registration with the practice.
- Attend and participate in practice meetings as required, practice meetings are held quarterly, the nurse on duty is expected to attend. Clinical and significant event meetings are typically held monthly, the nurse on duty is expected to attend.
- Assist in the formulation of practice philosophy, strategy and policy and develop appropriate protocols.
- Co-operate and participate as required in any research projects within the practice.
Student/staff education and training
- Participate in the education and training of students of all disciplines and the induction of all members of practice staff with special responsibility for nursing staff.
- Maintain effective liaison with other agencies and staff concerned with patient care and with all other disciplines within the practice, with appropriate regard to confidentiality.
Health & Safety
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Reporting potential risks identified.
Equality and diversity
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognises the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner that is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, with such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice, and will:
Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients’ needs
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources
The post-holder should recognise the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers
- Recognise people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this job description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carer’s, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
To be considered for this role Please apply with your CV or alternatively contact us in the office for more information.
Mango Solutions are acting as the employment agency on behalf of our client.